Saturday, August 27, 2016

The fair, the fair, the fair!!!

This is for Rebecca Darling, and all you other sweeties who love the fair!!

I took Rebecca's advice and hauled myself down to the Oregon State Fair at just the right time and just the right day. The first day! I got in for $1.00 because I am old and then I got another ticket for $1.50 if I want to come back. How nice can you be, yea Fair.

I ate, deep fried vegie's...interesting.  Garlic Fry's, haven't had fries for a long time, yum and a big ole' soft serve chocolate cone.  And I still absolutely stunk of garlic the whole time! I could have eaten the bbq chicken, but they would only sell it by the half and it was $12.00..no chicken.
                                         You know, click to enlarge...

Here is what I saw in no particular order, I'll try to keep it short, but hell, it's the Fair!!!  I saved the best for first....
                                                                 
                                                                           
I want you to sit down and hold on to something, Rebecca....because her name was BECKY!
NO SHIT! I think that spot was because she was so excited she peed.
                                                                          
This girl was so sweet I wanted to take her home. And her black horse was soft as down and shiny as...I don't know, what's the shiniest thing? That's what she was.  And HUGE!
Proud prize winner, couldn't stop smiling !! Isn't he gorgeous ?!
I fell in love!! I think he liked me too.
 The was Martha and we talked for about 20 minutes, she's an official so she is the only one who can touch the jams and jellies and she snapped at one woman to "put it down, they only let me touch the jars", but in a sort of very nice snappy way.
 Blueberry, I think (blackberry?) prize winner.
Chocolate cherry cheesecake, no samples, damn!!
 The veggie judge, he took his job very seriously.
 Tatting, I could see my Grandma standing there....
 You couldn't taste or smell anything, it didn't use to be like that..sad. When I was a kid you could get your nose right down there and suck up the scent.
 No business, I think they were embarrassed.  Or maybe they just felt sad for all us because they were going to miss us in Heaven.
 First prize winners!!
 A wealth of pies, oh my lord!
Raspberry whipped cream something o'ruther ?  I yeah, it was cheese cake too.

But this was the "Best in Fair" winner cake.
                                                                          

I like the lady's food display the best (except for the horse's). And they said that they are considering dropping it next year...curse's upon them.

(I might have used the commas in all the wrong places..who gives a fuck?)

Because it was the first day it wasn't crowded at all, I was there from 3pm to 8pm, I was worn out but oh so happy.  When I left, there were hoards of people coming in and I finally figured out it was for a Foreigner concert.  I just can't handle crowds but I heard a lot circusie music all day anyway and that was good.

And of course, I went to see my therapist first and cried and screamed it all out so I was perfectly serene the whole day :))) Oh yeah, I gave her a printout of my last post, she felt sorry for me and almost cried so I felt completely happy and cleansed, she knows who I really am.... she already knows I have the hardest life on earth, so it was just a brag.

Thank you for the suggestion, Baby. It was grand!!!

15 comments:

  1. Love love love these fair fair pix. So glad you went. Fairs like bowling alleys seem to escape time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, now I think I have to go bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first started reading your post I was thinking about how much I hate fairs but I have obviously never been to a fair like yours. The fairs I have been to have half-stoned men running terrifying rides and noise, noise, noise! (I am Grinchy with noise.) And my fairs have games you can never win with stuffed animals as prizes. All equal not fun.

    But your fair looks delightful and beautiful and fun! I would love to go. You say you went down to Oregon. Where do you live? You sound not too far from me. I am on Vancouver Island. Did you already know that? I probably already told you two or three or nine times.

    I am glad you had a good day. I am. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Birdie, cuz it's been a pretty shitty time lately.
    No, there were no stoned people or anything like that, they keep a really close watch on it. It is a sweet fair. I didn't go anywhere near the games but there were a lot of teenage girls with huuuuuge teddy bears and very proud looking boyfriends. And I don't do the rides either cuz they are expensive! Even just a plain old run of the mill hotdog costs $6.00! It ain't cheap anymore. I was looking at all the families (swear to God, I was the only single person there, but that was ok) and thinking that they were probably spending anywhere from $100 to maybe $200 or probably even more. Yikes! There are lot's of animals, this is FFA and 4H territory. I love manure smell, really, I do.

    I'm in Portland and the fair is in Salem, about a 40 min. drive. I'm not sure where Vancouver Island is unless it's that place where the Empress Hotel is and if so, I had the honeymoon from hell there...but that's another story.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about 90 minutes from there.

      But the honeymoon from hell sounds awful.

      But I am here now so if you ever come back you can look me up.

      I think it's awesome that you went to the fair alone. Some of my best times are when I am alone.

      Delete
    2. I would love to come back someday and see it with different eyes. I know it's a really beautiful place. 90 minutes? I had no idea!
      Yes me too, some of my best times have been when I am alone. But I've been alone for so long that I think it's become a habit. Not even sure if I know how to do things with other people any more....hahaha.

      My next post is going to be about where I went from LA ....Hawaii - a tree house :)))

      Delete
  5. Holy Smokes woman write the honeymoon from hell story!!!


    ps. Have you ever read David Foster Wallace's essay about the Illinois State Fair? It's in his book A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and it captures perfectly the fair zeitgeist.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! I just put it on hold at the library. What a plethora of books he has. Between your list and Elizabeth's I may actually develop a brain.

      The honeymoon from hell story includes a rape scene. I don't know if most people can handle that...but I could try to make it funny.

      Delete
    2. I write about my rape house all the time. I don't dole out trigger warnings either and most of my unhappy readers stalk me viciously for a while after I write about sensitive things then leave. Write what you need to write. You do it beautifully.xo

      Delete
    3. God bless your little pea pickin', apple pickin', star pickin' heart ♥X♥

      Delete
  6. Looks like so much fun. And Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't you just die for a piece, with a cup of coffee, oh my lord!

      Delete
  7. Loved the paragraph regarding your interactions with your therapist. You are on fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colette. I've just been having such a hard time lately that I figure, fuck it, I'm going to write who I am and it's a kind of freedom - I'm sure you know what I mean. xo

      Delete
    2. I do, I do. Such a struggle to be real, but so worth the effort. Your recent posts are proof positive of that.

      Delete