Saturday, October 28, 2017

Saturday night viewing, complimentary virtual wine and cheese served


I'm still here! I'm feeling so much better in every way, body mind and spirit. So I thought I would jump back in for a minute and instead of yakking on and on about all of that, I'll just give you a little bit about what I'm doing right now to keep it that way ... better.

I am painting!  I've been trying and trying to get back to this for 9 years. Thank god I never got depressed or hopeless enough that I threw the brushes or the paints away. I watercolor and watercolors are exceptionally versatile because they are so portable and they never get old! I have paints that are as much as 25 years old and all you have to do is add water, wait a bit and voila!

Taking a break from everything, and I mean everything, was/is healing. After a little while I began to breathe again and let me tell you how good air feels - in my lungs, my mind, my heart/soul.  I had no idea how shallow my breath was in trying to get to all these vital places.

So now I can hardly stop - painting.

This is a little bit of what I was doing all those years ago when I was painting pretty consistently..sort of. I was really afraid that I had lost it all. The first few attempts were a little scary, but once I started opening that door, I didn't care how good I was anymore. The thrill is addictive.


The first one I did (about 3 weeks ago) when I put water to the palette and picked up the brush was so bad that even Liz looked at it and said  "What is it?" We laughed almost to tears and I tossed it.  Which is a big deal for me because I used to be in the place, a long time ago, where I just wouldn't paint because I was afraid it was going to be awful and then I would be wasting paper.  Go figure.

These first 5 are from a long time ago.
I was painting in a pretty realistic style. I enjoy that, it's a real challenge to grab the subject and get it on the page as close as you can to what it really is.
This is not a mountain scene. Ha! It is a reclining woman done with a masking out technique.
                                                                                 
                                                                               
Now that's a bum!




I love this little girl hold a bird, it's a very small painting and had to be done with a magnifying glass.  The pigeon one is actually one of my favorites, if not my most favorite of all. In person you could see each little hair on the feathers on the floor, they were exquisite. Sadly it was stolen from my estate sale when I lost my home. I think I will always mourn it's loss, it was very special. And no, when people say "Oh, you can always paint another." it's simply not true.

This last one is a true exact  copy of a very old painting of the facade of the Paris opera house.  I would have to take it out of the frame to get a really good photo of it, sorry that this is such poor quality.  But it was exhibited at the Portland Art Museum in the student foyer when I was taking some classes there (ions ago) and I was very proud of it! It's a very big painting and I was so poor that I framed it in cardboard that I painted and pretend gilded.

I like these and I will still use this genre, but I've been wanting to try something looser.


After the first "What is it?" try, I took a little time to really think about what I was doing with the brush, I'm being very cautious with the subject...but I used a big brush, pretty brave!
                                                                                 
If you click on these they will, of course, enlarge. That will work with the older ones, but maybe not with these new ones as my camera is set at a ridiculously high level of pixels and I have to call android to figure out how to lower them, it's way down the list. So they may enlarge to mega and you won't be able to even see them. Sorry, but when posting, I don't see a way for me to know how they will turn out on enlarge.
                                                                              
A little bit looser, but not very adventurous.
                                                                                
This was crazy fun! I work from other paintings, mag. clippings and actual photos from the web. This is, obviously, a clip from a magazine. So it is a "copy" for lack of a better word. And while I am at it, I want to say that when I look at a painting, photo etc. I am not trying to copy the image exactly as the artist. Unless the work is antique and then it is legal to do so. I'm not trying to pass them off as "original" (but obviously I painted these - they just are not my original idea), hence, I could not/would not ever try to sell them. I am trying to teach my self technique so that I can figure out the process, which with watercolor involves a lot of calculation about what goes down first and then second, etc. to get the effect you are looking for. Transparency is an art in and of itself and timing is a real brain twister if it isn't so honed that you can do it like riding a bike. I fall off constantly.
And also, I'm not criticizing my work here in a way that would say - I feel bad about this, I really fucked it up. No, there is no failure here of any kind, if you miss getting something the way you wanted to, then that's just one thing you can cross off the list and lots of times you go back and forth and that's just how you learn.
                                                                            
I was trying to be "creative" here ...... I call it "You think you don't snore, but you really do" !
                                                                             
This is actually a very large painting, it's 26" x 22". I did it once before but I really like the colors so I tried again using the overlay and I think I did pretty good. I especially like this close up of the vessel.
                                                                                  

                                                                               
Now, I'm starting to get somewhere.
                                                                              
I don't know why, but once I got that hair, all the splash of it and the freedom, then I knew the rest of it was a cake walk.

I don't think I'm ever going to be the kind of artist that does abstracts that are metaphors or expressions of deep spiritual of social issues. I've always secretly wanted to be, but it's just not in me. I like what I do, I'm very happy with it and especially it's constant evolution. And really, every painting holds it's own "message", they all speak.

So there you have it. I think you might be a little drunk by now, that was probably a three drink exhibit.

I'm going to try a bit more blogging, we'll see. The whole thing is so different for me now, I've still got to figure it out a bit more.

So glad to see you!






33 comments:

  1. Really gorgeous work! You are an artist. No wonder returning to you art brought peace. I love love love the woman with the blueish hair. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, A. That's the style I want to really be able to grasp. It's very thrilling to work that way. I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. very nice! I've never been much of a painter, I'm more of a sculptor. I would like to do some watercolor I think now and then. good to see you back and that you are in a more even, creative, and pleasant place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Ellen. Life is just too...I don't know what, amazing/spooky? I just came into this room, my studio - where the computer is and as I was lifting the blinds I thought - Ellen, I hope Ellen wrote, I really don't want to loose her as a reader. And there you fucking are! Crazy!! Sooo nice to hear from you. It is indeed good to feel so creative. You inspire me - you really do.

      Delete
  3. You are amazingly talented! I am so happy to see all this beautiful work you've done. Yay Liv!!!! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Colette, you are so sweet. Thank you. It's good to be able to connect with people again. I've missed you.

      Delete
  4. I am in awe. I do not have a creative bone in my body. These are amazing!

    I am so glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Birdie. But I disagree, you are very creative! Your altar, your scrapbook, your knitting and, oh my gosh, all the painting and decorating you did. I seem to remember all of them and I envied your creativeness and especially the joy you got from doing it! Don't ever think you aren't, Birdie - you absolutely are! So glad to be back, too.

      Delete
  5. Is the one with the dark leaves your reentry? I like those leaves. Especially their edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo nice to see you, Barbara! The dark leaf one was my second try, the first one hit the wastebasket. :) xo

      Delete
    2. Oh, I just called you Barbara, A. I had just posted the following comment and had that name on my brain. But you are my A, and I am so glad you remembered me!!

      Delete
  6. I adore the little girl holding the bird, they are all fabulous! They copies are uniquely yours, so not really "copies". Good to see you back and creating!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara! The little girl is a very favorite of mine. I put her in a beautiful gilded frame and she hangs in my living room. I'm so glad you like her, too. So glad you are still with me xo!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Your creativity is boundless, and those paintings are lovely. I am glad that you are feeling better and rested -- taking a break from the virtual world is so necessary, I think. I go longer and longer now between posts on my own blog, and while I miss the heady days of early blogging, it feels good to make each post very thoughtful. I look forward to seeing your art unfold here, Liv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I've waited a long time to be able to get back to this, I don't think I could have done it without this break.
      And they are, your posts, thoughtful and very beautiful. One of the very good things about being back here is that I get to read them again.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you're back and glad you're feeling better:) And your paintings are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. I needed to connect with you and everyone else. I've missed you.

      Delete
  10. the third one, the blue back is my favorite. onward!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, lots of people say that when seeing them in person. It's not my first choice but I'm glad you like it. Thanks, Marco. Onward indeed!!

      Delete
  11. These are such gorgeous and evocative paintings. I am so happy you have rediscovered this creative outlet. More please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure who I would be without painting. Everything I look at I see as color and angle - I paint it in my head. I'm so glad you like them, Sabine. Extra helpings served soon.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you, Roth - I'm so glad you like them. I think you are writing from Thailand? Thanks for visiting from so far away :)

      Delete
  13. These are just stunning. I’ve always liked your art when you’ve posted it!! I’m glad to hear you. You seem light and I LOVE that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm so glad you found this. It's a treat to hear from you. It's kind of weird to be back here, but I'm really happy that I posted the art and again, I am sooo happy to see you!

      Delete
    2. Yep! I registered to view awhile back, but never had logged in until I wrote today. Thank you. I know it’s odd, but it’s a group of women here that are phenomenal and I think we all just do the best we can. Love you!

      Delete
  14. Very nice! Glad you are writing again.
    -Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I'm so glad you are reading and I truly appreciate your comment!
      Liv

      Delete
  15. I think the pigeon flew away. It would never let itself get stolen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do hope so. I hear they mate for life. I hope he found his and is living happily forever.
      Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  16. Catching up with my reading...so glad to see you back writing and painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to you!, Elle. I'm a little nervous, but I'm going to keep trying :)

      Delete