Monday, February 26, 2018

Cheap canvas. I love cheap canvas

                                                                                  
                                                                             

r.h.sin is a feminist poet and writer. You can find his work on Instagram.

“The silence depressed me. It wasn’t the silence of silence. It was my own silence. I knew perfectly well the cars were making a noise, and the people in them and behind the lit windows of the buildings were making a noise, and the river was making a noise, but I couldn’t hear a thing. The city hung in my window, flat as a poster, glittering and blinking, but it might just as well not have been there at all, for the good it did me.”
The Bell Jar

I thought I would post two of them to, well, because I just did.

I haven't posted for awhile because I am just "tired", the nomenclature for depressed.  I'm actually not usually this way. My medication keeps that in bay a bit. But lately I've been just as Plath puts it. There is a silence. Life is in slow motion. Neither blogger nor facebook seem like appropriate places to reveal. Every one seems to be coping and more. And it's nice to look through the window and watch. I feel kind of proud that I have such as you - that I've chosen you. It must mean that in a lot of ways I am just like you, coping and sometimes more. So why do I get so tired?

I have things to talk about so I'm pissed that it's getting in my way.  Get the fuck out! You're in my way!

I'm eating way too much. A healthy meal, a shit meal. I'm actually not a drinker at all. But I've been having a glass of wine about every 2/3 days. God, why do people drink wine? Unless you can buy the best, it's just shit sour pop. I mock it.  - Good God, you're worthless. You're a pretty color but you do not bring the advertised freedom that you subtlety suggest in your ad, you're a tease. -  So it sits in the cupboard until it is vinegar. If I am eating pasta, or maybe pizza, or, ahh...eggplant, I think, well aren't you supposed to drink wine with this? But the plate is empty, the glass is half full and what was on the plate seems to have done what the crimson liquid was supposed to do. See, you're useless and you cost me $6.

I'm am painting and enjoying it. But that's all I want to do. Just stand at the table and play with color and water on cheap canvas. It's practice though, so cheap canvas is a brilliant invention, those little cardboard things with the canvas glued on. I love them.

I think my roommate may be adding to the depression. She is a type A. And pretty much wears it like a badge. But she is only a part, I can't seem to nail the others. I have a wonderful new therapist. Got lucky on that one. She asked me a question the other day and I said, "Come on, that is a woowoo question and we are both better than that." We both had a lovely belly laugh and I am proud of her that she got it right away. She's almost as smart as me - I have had more than my fair share, of - consultants..haha - so it is great that she can keep up and give me one better, a lot.

I wish I could write more poetically about this state of being. Like Plath. But then if I could, I might be in big trouble. I wish someone could have saved her.

If there is anyone still out there and you feel like commenting, please do. But don't give me any woowoo. You know I am laughing. Depressed people do laugh, a lot in fact.
I could NOT resist this!!!!!


14 comments:

  1. I hate depression. It sucks the color out of life, turning everything grey.

    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been through a lot the past year. Your body needs to rest, and your mind needs comfort and joy. You come first. The world can wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for that, Colette. I guess I haven't been aware of that lately. I has been a tough year.

      Delete
  3. well, obviously you aren't drinking the right wine! I got nothing about the depression. it's not something I suffer from, not trying to brag, just a way of saying it's something I don't fully understand. hope you rise above. painting should help, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I think you've hit on something there.
      I'm glad you don't know from depression. You balance things out. The good thing about it is that dep. comes and goes. This will be over soon. And yes, painting helps a lot!

      Delete
  4. I'm out here, still listening, but I don't think I have any concrete advice. I wish I did! You know all the things that everybody and their grandmother tells you to do...For me, my depression (or a form of PTSD, which I swear is what it was) was that I was trapped and fearful. I knew I had to file for divorce but I was so scared, and I just couldn't. So I stayed, until one day I just couldn't. So, I found a lawyer and that was that. Simple to write but so many steps and building of courage involved. Long story short: every day before that first meeting w/my lawyer I felt like I was going to die; the next day, I didn't. And every day since I was able to file for divorce has made me anew. Everyone tells me I am like a different person. And I am. I wish I could have done it sooner.

    And I realize absolutely none of this is probably helping you...I guess my point is that there are those of us out here thinking of you and wishing you the best (and not in that woowoo kind of way), and that some of us are learning to make a new world, right along with you. I'm not sure what the answer is but I found mine, and I know you will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm sorry you had such a tough time with that, Elle. But glad that you've come out on the other side. I will too, it just takes time. Thanks for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  5. A couple of weeks ago I told my therapist that I would love to have one full week without any depression or anxiety...just to know what it feels like. As it stands now, everything is meaningless. For me it’s like living in a grey heavy cotton. Opening the door and picking out milk at the grocery store is exhausting. Even just writing this is difficult. I don’t know, Liv. I have no answers because the fucking questions can’t be figured out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Birdie. I'm so sorry that it weighs so heavy on you. It's unfair and I wish with all my heart that it could be lifted off your shoulders. I'm glad you have your therapist to talk to. And I want you to hear clearly that I am out here for you, always willing to listen.
      Love and Love to you, Birdie.

      Delete
  6. I am happy to hear you are painting, tapping the creative place inside you. It is nourishment. And a good therapist is gold. One breath at a time, my friend. And the laughs. That's not woo woo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the laughs. Thank heavens I've always been a person who could laugh. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I am here, still here, so that makes two of us, or whatever clones we can come up with! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you, old friend. I didn't post for about 4 months there, so you fell off of my radar. Thanks for hoping over! Hope you are well. Clones? No, we are authentic, whether or not we want to be....

      Delete